Ars Nova Singers finds strength in our community’s varied life experiences. In order to fully embrace and represent the diversity that we appreciate and honor, our organization has work to do. We strive to be an equitable and inclusive organization where all board members, staff, singers, and volunteers feel valued, respected, and welcomed – regardless of race; age; ethnicity; ability; national origin; religious background; spiritual practice; sexual orientation; gender identity and expression; level of education; or economic, marital, or military status. We oppose discrimination, bigotry, and bias of every kind. We commit to be intentionally inclusive in our organizational composition, values, performances, policies, and practices. Ars Nova Singers invites and welcomes participation by all.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Access
Diversity includes all the ways in which people differ, encompassing the varied characteristics that make one individual or group different from another. Embracing diversity benefits a group or organization in multiple ways, by including the wide variety of perspectives, ideals, and values that come with everyone’s individual and intersecting identities.
Equity is rooted in providing support based on an individual’s or group’s varying levels of privilege to eliminate barriers that prevent the full participation of systemically disadvantaged groups and individuals.
Inclusion is the act of creating a sense of belonging through shared, accessible activities allowing all individuals to grow, contribute, and develop in a setting where they are valued and welcomed.
Accessibility allows a person with a disability the opportunity to acquire the same information, engage in the same interactions, and enjoy the same services as a person without a disability in an equally effective and inclusive manner, with equivalent ease.
Leadership & Organizational Principles
We are committed to modeling diversity and maintaining an inclusive environment with accessible and equitable treatment for all members of our community.
To provide informed, authentic leadership for cultural equity, Ars Nova Singers commits to:
- Leading with respect and acceptance.
- Seeing diversity, equity, inclusion, and access as connected to our mission and critical to ensure the well-being of our organization and the communities we serve.
- Acknowledging and dismantling any biases within our policies, systems, programs, and services that interfere with equity and inclusiveness.
- Allocating time and resources to expand diversity and promote equity within our board, staff, and singers.
- Practicing honest and transparent communication in all interactions and encouraging and expecting all members to embrace these values.
- Upholding and remaining accountable to these principles.
Amplifying Arts Diversity
As we work to confront and dismantle systemic racism, we plan to elevate the voices of activists and organizations who are leading our regional communities through these difficult but necessary discussions. Have an event or resource you’d like amplified?